Monday, September 26, 2011

Assignment #2

Answer both prompts. Remember to include a supporting quote.

1. In the chapter "With the Semanas" Siddhartha discovers the Second of the Four Noble Truths: Suffering arises from desire.  How does Siddhartha react to this principle?  When have you practiced self denial to attain a goal?
 2. Why do you think Siddhartha abandons the ascetic life of the Semanas at the end of the chapter?

9 comments:

  1. After learning that people suffer because of their wants Siddhartha decided to stop eating because he believed that by doing that his senses will start to die off and his memory soon following the same path. The one time I ever done this was when I was picking a high school. I originally wanted to go to a wildlife school but I decided to come to Bronx guild because my agency was here. I think that Siddhartha decides to abandon his samana religion because he realized that he wasn’t happy and that the samana religion isn’t for him. At first he seemed but later on he noticed that maybe he belongs with the Buddha’s. He thought that if he becomes one of the samanas he would be comfortable and that his emptiness would slowly disappear but after he left and he actually got to spend some time with the samanas he noticed that he wasn’t happy and he dream still wasn’t fulfilled .He noticed that everything he heard about samanas was a lie and he starting thinking life here is a pain. He’s thought that becoming a samana meant that he would no longer become thirsty, no longer desire anything, and no longer have dreams, sorrow or pleasure. He hated feelings those things and wanted it to be over and done with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How siddhartha reacts to the principle of Suffering arises from desire is his one goal is to become empty. As stated on page 11 “siddhartha had one single goal to become empty, empty of thirst, desire, dreams, pleasure and sorrow. Also, siddhartha wanted to die because he wanted to let go of everything. On page 11 it says “to let the self die no longer to be self, to experience the peace of an empty heart”. Siddhartha also reacted by joining the samanas. Stated on page 10 “on the evening of that day they overtook the samanas and requested their company and allegiance, they were accepted”. I have never practiced self denial to acchive a goal because I don’t believe in self denial. What I can say is I find this obnoxious and crazy of how u can nearly kill yourself just to obtain a goal. I infact find this somewhat suicidal type. I think siddhartha abandons the ascentic life of the samanas at the end of the chapter to exoplore another religion. Maybe he likes to jump religions because he’s not satisfyed with the one’s he tried so far. Siddhartha might even be the type of guy who likes to explore religions and enjoy learning new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siddartha tries to find ways to avoid desire because he believes that desire = suffering. He explores other religions to find ways to avoid his desire. I do not think that desire can be ignored, it is trying not to want things. It's not possible. I have been in denial before, a few times, okay, maybe most of the time. One example is when I was in the 8th grade and their was a test I forgot to study for and I studied all the periods before the class. I was thinking, I am going to pass, I am going to pass and when I came down to it I looked down at the test and went blank. I failed the test from then on when I "forgot" to study I just cheated. I think that Siddartha abandons the ascetic life of the Semanas at the end of the chapter because we wasn't satisfied with the results of his experiment. My opinion is that he is experimenting, trying to find something that does not exist and not stopping until he finds it. I believe that everywhere we go, no matter where we go we will always desire something. We are always going to want something, whether we're in school, at home, lost in the middle of the no where, or in the bathroom we will always want something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way Siddhartha react to the second noble truth which is “Suffering
    arises from desire. Siddhartha had one single goal to become empty, empty of thirst, desire, dreams, pleasure and sorrow. He decides to do what the samanas does he kills all
    self so he could gain peace and to feel empty. he learns there way of being he basically becomes death barley eating and fasting a lot. But Siddhartha still has a thirst for something more.
    He’s not sure that what he’s doing is going anywhere he feels like am I going to be fasting for ever. Siddhartha seeks knowledge and doesn’t want to become old and not gain anything. I have been in denial before with attain a goal. Like with a writing test i find myself feeling like im not gonna get alot of credits because of my grammar and spelling. But in the end my writing turns out great and i actually do very well on my writing test. I feel that Siddhartha abandons the ascetic life of the Semanas at the end because he wants something more. He fully understands The life of the semanas but he wonder’s if all hes going to be doing is meditating and fasting. He doesn’t wanna live his whole life to not gain nothing. Because they dont even attain nirvana, not even there oldest member’s which is sixty years old has attain it and never will. Siddhartha wants to learn and achieve more that's why i think he abandons them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When siddartha discovers the fourth noble truth " suffering arises from dsire" he reacts by try to get rid of all of his desire and he does, but always comes back to his desire at some point he all the task he has to complete he does for example he didn't feel pain anymore and also he can kind of leave his body and be other things , dead things like a dead lifeless jackal. Even though he could do all that, he told his best friend that he wants to leave the samanas because he didn't want to grow old like the other samanas and still not reach nirvana. He feelt that there was no point starving himself and fasting and being miserable if It didn't add up to anything. Siddartha also heard the gossip spreading around that some guy named Buddha had already reached nirvana so he hypnotized the masters of the simanas showing his powers he learned and he talked them in to letting him go find buddha. So he left and like always his best friend was right by his side, he was also amazed that siddartha hypnotized the simanas it was almost impossible to fool the old simanas. He also said that siddartha could have soon learned to walk on water, but siddartha did feel the need th learn how to walk on water. I have never used self denial and I don't really think it is a good thing .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siddhartha react to this principle maybe he doesn’t want to eat because he at once a day and never cooked food. So he fasted fourteen days. Then he started for twenty days .He gets strange dreams were reflected in his enlarged eyes. The one time I ever done this was when I was picking a high school. I originally wanted to go to a medical school but I decided to come to Bronx guild because my parents want to go and see how Bronx guild is or I might change it if I don’t like it.SO I think Siddhartha learned many ways to losing the self by not sure what he will do for his future. He’s travelling the way of self-denial through meditation, through the emptying of the mind off all images that he having in his mind. He lost his self-thousand times and for days on end he dwelt in nonbeing. But although the paths took him away from self, in the end they always let back to it. In the sunshine or in moonlight, in shadow or in rain, and was again self and Siddhartha, again felt the torment of the onerous life circle. I think Siddhartha abandons the ascetic life of the Semanas at the end of the chapter because it was difficult very difficult to hypnotize an old samanas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After Siddhartha discovers the second noble truths he decides to give up and forget his desires. On page 11 Siddhartha had only one single goal that he wanted to accomplish. It was to become devoid. I’m guessing he wants to become devoid with his dreams, interest. And if he devoid’s his dreams and stuff he doesn’t want to live anymore. After that he tells his best friend that he wants to move away from the samanas so he doesn’t end up like the other people that live there they grow old and never reach the nirvana. So he decides to start exploring other regions near by to try and find different ways to try and end with his desires. To himself he believes that living there starving himself and continue to do things to make other people happy isn’t going to really get him anywhere. In some time there was a rumor going around and it was about a guy name Buddha and that guy had reached the nirvana. So he decided to follow his foot steps. And he went to tell his father that he wanted to go to nirvana . But of course his father didn’t want him to go. So Siddhartha stays awake all night standing up and as his fathers sees that he really is dedicated to what he wants he eventually lets him go on his trip. Of course his bets friend is always by his side and of course he is also going to go on the trip with him to the nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Siddhartha discover the fourth noble truth: “suffering arises from desire” Siddhartha reacted in a way by stop eating, drinking and getting rid of all his desire. As it stated in Page 11 “Siddhartha had one single goal---to become empty, to become empty of thirst, desire, dreams, pleasure and sorrow--- to let the self die”. But he couldn’t empty him-self, at the end of the day he is back with desire of thirsty. He did every step he had to complete like for example he can leave his body and be other dead animal such as jackal, he didn’t feel any pain anymore. But that wasn’t enough for Siddhartha he want to reach the nirvana. There was a lot of rumors about a guy name Buddha who has already reach the nirvana. Govinda told Siddhartha about it as well and Siddhartha told Govinda that he wants to leave Samanas because he realized that the oldest Samanas couldn’t even reach the nirvana and that means he can’t reach the nirvana if he keep on following them. So he was like there is no point of starving him-self to death if he can’t reach nirvana. So Siddhartha and Givinda went to the eldest Samana and informed him about their decision to leave Samana. But the old man was angry that both young men was leaving. So Siddhartha hypnotized the old guy, which was impossible to hypnotized the eldest Samana but Siddhartha did it. And they leave for Buddha. And I have never practiced the self denial to attain a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After Siddhartha learned that suffering comes with desire he chose to block out all desires from his life. For Siddhartha to remove suffering he must first become empty through self denial. I have reached a goal by using self denial. It was when I was trying to finish a project on time for school. The thought of not being abel to finish filled my head.

    ReplyDelete